Friday, September 9, 2011

Celebration and a civilizing influence

Need a napkin after greasy Chinese take out?
Words cannot describe how giddy I felt at watching the reaction after posting my "Stalwart Staghorn" pattern onto Ravelry.  Let's just put it this way, I took a screenshot of how many people "favorite"-ed the pattern and sent it to my mother.  I don't know if she's going to print it out to hang in the gallery (the gallery referring of course to the refrigerator door).  However, she did make time to forward my email full of glee onto her sisters.

This evening when Daniel got home (and after he learned that I thawed some fish for dinner), he suggested we celebrate by ordering in.  That may not sound like a big thing, but for us it is a rare occurrence (like less than 10% of the time).  We finally decided to try the Chinese place nearby that delivers.  As we sat down, it occurred to me that another of my "nesting" projects was here on the table, namely a napkin holder.  Don't knock it!  Up until I crocheted this little bugger, we were daintily blotting our mouths with paper towels.  Hey, I count myself lucky, not only was he aware of napkins, but he was using a substitute on a regular basis.  Sorry ladies, he's taken.

And thus, Brawny man rejoiced.
The napkin holder itself is crocheted, and was really easy.  It's increasing two double crochets on each side, with a V stitch at the corners.  This makes a nice square, and since it's only holding napkins, I figured it didn't have to have the same attention to detail as Kate Middleton's wedding dress.  After it was a little wider than the napkins, I did a few rows of singles for a firm edge.

Incidentally, I just want to thank everyone who visited for the warm fuzzy feeling.  Right now, less than eleven hours after posting the pattern, 83 people have labeled it as a "favorite" on ravelry, and 22 people have it in queues.   My little old blog here has received 136 hits.  In this weird way, I feel like a knitting rock star (though I'm probably only a groupie).  So... THANK YOU EVERYONE!

No comments: