Friday, September 16, 2011

Secretive Storms


I can't tell you how relieved I am to finally get this secret out.  Literally.  After seeing the number of views to my blog skyrocket from posting Stalwart Staghorn, I've been stitching my little heart out at a fevered pitch just trying to finish up this pattern in time for Friday's post.

Kelli, Kevin's sister (yes, it's the same Kevin from this post), celebrated her annual 29th birthday this week.  Now, I had wanted to send her one of these hats, but (selfishly) I've been too busy trying to hammer out this pattern.  I'm hoping to make it up to her by sending her the prototypes that I came up with, and naming the hat pattern after the Storms family.


Ok, so I know it's free, and I'd probably make more money posting it for sale and selling three copies, but I can't tell you how much I've appreciated having free patterns available to me.  While I'm in no position to donate to those designers, I'm hoping to pay it forward a bit by contributing a few of my own.  That being said, I'm delighted that due to ad clicks from people visiting, my blog has earned 75 cents in the past week.  No, I'm not being sarcastic when I say delighted; seriously, anything helps when you're unemployed and have been for as long as I have been.  Blah!  Enough of pesky reality which is certainly NOT warm and fuzzy.  Anyway, thank you folks for visiting, and here's my second pattern "Secretive Storms"*.  Oh!  Again, if you notice any issues, or mistakes (such as the one Ms. Morris let me know about in my other pattern), please email me at daniaerickson@gmail.com.


Oh!  And about the pattern... don't be intimidated (easier said than done in my case, as evidenced by this post).  I swear, if it's your first time with some of the techniques... I'll be gentle darling.  And you know what?  You will walk away with some good experience and a lovely showing of your talent and dedication.

*All rights to the design and pattern "Secretive Storms" are protected by copyright.  Dania Erickson 2011.

7 comments:

ARKENCIEL said...

This hat is superb and so well done ! Do you know where I can have the pattern (in french if it is possible ?). Thanks a lot in advance.

Anonymous said...

SO awesome!!!I love this hat! You are so talented!- Jennifer

Stephanie said...

I love, love, LOVE this hat!! I love it SO much that I have swallowed my beginner's pride to ask a dumb question...what am I supposed to do on rows 6-10 on the brim?? I'm lost...help! I'm an uber beginner..(just seriously made my first scarf three days ago) but I just can't tear myself away from this pattern! Thanks a bunch!!

Dania said...

I'm so glad you like it! Did I mention how honored I am that you like it enough to have it be your second project?

So, the pattern for the brim basically goes:

Row 1: k1, p1, k12, p1, k1
Row 2: p1, k1, k12, k1, p1
Row 3: k1, p1, k12, p1, k1
Row 4: p1, k1, k12, k1, p1
Row 5: k1, p1, k4, C4B, p1, k1
Row 6: p1, k1, k12, k1, p1
Row 7: k1, p1, k12, p1, k1
Row 8: p1, k1, k12, k1, p1
Row 9: k1, p1, k12, p1, k1
Row 10: p1, k1, k12, k1, p1
Row 11: k1, p1, C4F, k4, p1, k1
Row 12: p1, k1, k12, k1, p1

This pattern of 12 rows gets repeated over and over (one row short of 8 full repeats); but since I use a row counter, it's easier for me to just click it over instead of resetting it after each twelfth row and trying to remember how many repeats of the pattern I've completed.

Again, I'm so glad you like this hat; pretty pretty please, if you have any questions just email me ( daniaerickson@gmail.com ) I remember having lots of questions when I first started knitting, and I'd love to help (especially if the pattern seems confusing). Can I just say I really really admire you for taking on a challenge instead of being content with doing countless scarves? You can't see it, but I'm raising my coffee cup to toast you right now. Cheers and keep on!

Stephanie said...

Thank you SO much for helping! I'm the only person here that knits, and I've been wanting to learn for a long time and finally got a kit for Christmas. I hope that I can do this pattern justice and get some pics of it posted! Thanks so much again for your help and for letting me know that I can ask more questions, lol.

Dorothy said...

This hat is so gorgeous! I will definitely be knitting it this summer. Thank you for posting it for free, just FYI I also would have paid for it :-)

Unknown said...

Hi! Your link to this pattern doesn’t load….I’ve tried from both Google and Explorer but all I can see is a dark screen. Can you repost the pattern or fix the link? Thank you!